I’m a pasta girl! I love a hearty Italian style dinner served with a fresh salad and bread sticks. I found this recipe in a magazine and thought how easy it would be to add ground beef or chicken and make it a non vegetarian dish. However, I like to, occasionally, make a meatless meal and decided this would be a good one to try.
My husband doesn’t mind the occasional meatless meal, but overall he’s a meat lover for sure.
I decided to make this for myself on a night that he was out of town. I know what you are thinking, “that’s a lot of food for one person,” but a girl’s gotta eat! I thought it was pretty tasty and when I make it again I will probably throw in some meat. Ya know, to make it “husband approved.” 🙂
Make sure the veggies are tender before you add them to the cheese mixture. A pasta dish with a “crunch” is not good.
I hope you make this dish soon. Let me know if you keep it vegetarian or if you add meat to it.
- One package Manicotti
- 2 tabelspoons of olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups of zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 10 oz. package frozen spinach
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian style cheese
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 cayenne pepper
- 1 14-to 16 oz. jar tomato sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat
- Add carrots,zucchini, and onion; cook for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally
- Stir in spinach; cook and stir for 1 minute
- Transfer spinach mixture to a large bowl
- Stir in one cup of the shredded cheese, ricotta cheese, salt and cayenne pepper
- Spread pasta sauce in the bottom of a 3 qt. rectangular baking dish
- Spoon a rounded 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture to fill the manicotti noodles. May need more or less
- Arrange pasta in the baking dish
- Bake covered for 25-30 min or until heated through
- Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup shredded cheese.