Well, I can’t believe it is November. I also can not believe how quickly it is flying by. Have you started thinking about what you are going to prepare for Thanksgiving? Sadly, I started thinking about it months ago but I never know for certain until a week or two before the “big day.”
These cookies sorta came together by accident and I thought the batter tasted yummy so I finished them off with a yummy brown sugar frosting. I used a scoop to place them on the cookie sheet. It is about a 2 tsp size scoop but feel free to make these a little bigger if you like. Mine came out a little crispy on the bottom but if you make them a bit bigger and reduce the cooking time then that should yield a softer cookie.
Depending on how generous you frost the cookie you may need another batch of icing. I had about 6 cookies that did not get frosted because I ran out of frosting. Those few cookies that didn’t get any frosting were also delicious. I think they would have been great crumbled into some ice cream.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups of flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl combine the flour,salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon and whisk together to combine.
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly into the butter mixture. About a 1/4 cup at a time.
- Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet. I used a cookie scoop that yields approximately 2 tsps of dough.
- Bake 10-12 min or until tops are set and then transfer to a cooling rack. Once cookies have cooled then they may be frosted.
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- In a small saucepan, on medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Pour into a medium, heatproof bowl. Add milk and vanilla, stir.
- Add powdered sugar and stir until smooth.
- Spread onto cookies once they have cooled.
- Sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
- More or less powdered sugar or milk may be used to reach the desired consistency of the icing.