Summer Salad- Mixed greens tossed with fresh summer fruit, seasoned almonds and homemade poppy seed dressing as the finishing tough!
In my opinion, it is pretty easy to eat salads during the summertime since there is an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. This salad in particular uses lots of fresh summer fruits. This summer salad is the perfect complement to a meal or you can add some grilled chicken and then it becomes the meal itself.
I had to call my sister-in-law in Illinois and ask her to email me this recipe. Sometimes when we are there visiting she will invite us over for dinner and in the past this salad has been on the menu. It is super fresh and lightweight. The perfect summertime salad!
This salad can be used with just baby spinach or I bought a plastic container of mixed spring greens. The original recipe calls for avocado but I chose to not use one. This salad is a great dish to take to a cookout and any leftovers without the dressing I put back in the plastic container that the greens came in. That genius idea came from my friend, Ryane!
Here’s another salad recipe to check out if you liked this one!
- 9 cups mixed greens
- 1 avocado peeled, and sliced into wedges
- 1 small red onion cut
- 1/2 cup red grapes
- 1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup seasoned almonds
- 3/4 cup Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/2 cup onion
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 2 cups oil (I used vegetable)
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2/3 cups sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter-melted
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Place greens in a salad bowl and top with avocado, onions, grapes, mandarin oranges and almonds.
- Before serving drizzle with Poppy Seed dressing and toss.
- Place onion, sugar, mustard, salt, and vinegar in a blender and blend until all ingredients are incorporated. Add oil. Mix again. Add poppy seeds and pulse two or three times or you can stir them in. I also added a pinch of pepper. I keep my dressing in a mason jar and shake it before pouring onto the salad.
- Toss almonds with melted butter.
- Add the sugar mixture and stir until fully coated.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast in a 325 degree oven for 6-8 minutes until fully brown.
- I added about 3/4 cup diced strawberries and 1/2 cup blueberries to my salad and left out the avocado.