Macaroni and Cheese-The classic comfort food side dish full of pasta and cheese!
This post was originally shared over at Kristen’s blog. Have you read her blog yet? It’s full of so many fun recipes, printables and fun projects. You don’t want to miss it!
Okay, let’s shift focus to today’s recipe. Macaroni and Cheese! When I saw this recipe I couldn’t get it off my brain. Seriously, I wanted it for breakfast.
Macaroni and cheese for breakfast didn’t pan out, but I did go buy the cheese and we had it for dinner. I already had the dry pasta shells so that’s what I used but any small pasta will do the job.
Mac & cheese has always been one of my favorite side items and since I don’t fix it very often I want a really good recipe for when I do fix it. This is not your “blue box” macaroni and cheese, folks. However, it’s just as easy and tastes soo good.
I do have one recommendation though and it does make it a bit labor intensive. If you’re making homemade macaroni and cheese then buy blocks of cheese and grate them rather than buying the bags of shredded cheese. It tastes better and the cheese melts better. I promise!
- 2 cups dry pasta (I used mini shells)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese ( I used Gouda, Cheddar and a half mixture of monterey jack
- Jack and Colby Jack)
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of milk (I added additional milk since my pasta wasn't tender yet before the liquid was absorbed and then again to add to the creaminess)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs.
- In a large pot add pasta, milk, cream, pepper, dry mustard and kosher salt. Cook on medium heat and bring to a simmer and then turn to heat to low.
- Grate cheese while pasta is cooking. Measure 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese into a bowl.
- Once most of the liquid is absorbed bite into a cooled piece of pasta and check for tenderness.
- If it needs to cook longer add a bit more milk, unless there's plenty of liquid remaining.
- About 20 minutes is what is needed to cook the pasta. More or less will depend on what type of pan you use.
- Once pasta is tender stir in the grated cheese.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and additional cheese, if desired.