Blackberry Buttermilk Cupcakes– Flavorful cupcakes made with buttermilk and blackberry sauce then topped with blackberry buttercream.
Hope your weekend was great. It was the Kentucky Derby here in Louisville so we enjoyed watching that. We didn’t attend the Derby, but watched it on TV with our friends. It was a fun, but busy weekend. Of course, like any weekend, I ate too much yummy food.
It’s no secret that I love cupcakes and today I’ve got a fun new flavor to share. Blackberry Buttermilk Cupcakes!!! If you’ve noticed blackberries popping up more frequently in your store then buy some and make these cupcakes.
It’s very common to jump right into making a cobbler when we have fresh blackberries, but cupcakes are always great to make and I enjoy experimenting with unique flavors. Blackberry is not a typical flavor I would use to make cupcakes.
The cupcakes are made with buttermilk so they have a moist, yet, less cakey than normal texture about them. Very delicious and the blackberry buttercream is AAAAMAZING!!
To get all the blackberry flavor in these blackberry buttermilk cupcakes and the blackberry buttercream,you make a blackberry sauce. This sauce…well, just plan on keeping some in your refrigerator all summer long because it needs to be poured over ice cream every single night while binge watching shows on Netflix. 🙂
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup Blackberry Sauce (recipe below)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Blackberry Sauce
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with paper cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed, until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla, beating to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk the buttermilk and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- Alternating adding flour with the buttermilk mixture beginning and ending with flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Gently fold 1/4 cup blackberry sauce into the batter, swirling through
- Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups. Fill 1/3 full of batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Approximately 25 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and allow to cool completely.
- Top with blackberry buttercream.
- Store in refrigerator.
- In a blender, add blackberries, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Pulse on high speed until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve, pressing solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Discard solids. Sauce can be refrigerated overnight or frozen for up to 6 months,
- In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth, approximately 30 seconds.
- Add 1/4 cup Blackberry Sauce and 1 cup sugar at a time until stiff peaks form.
- Beat on high speed until fluffy.
- Store in refrigerator.