Breaded Barbecue Chicken: Breaded chicken breast covered in homemade barbecue sauce and baked in the oven. No grill needed for this barbecue chicken!
My husband, Jason loves barbecue sauce. Like, really loves it. Honestly, I love it too. I just don’t have a need to put barbecue sauce on every type of meat that I eat. For example, if we have a sandwich from chick-fil-a we usually get the breaded kind. I mean c’mon, it is chick-fil-a, you just gotta! Anyways, Jason always asks for barbecue sauce so essentially he’s eating a breaded barbecue chicken sandwich. I think we are onto something here if Chick-fil-a just wants to make this a regular menu item. 🙂
Breaded barbecue chicken is simple to make and does not take very long. I like that there is over an hour of baking time required so it allows me to clean up the prep mess while it bakes as well as get on here. AHEM!! I’m sure you do it, too! It’s a time killer during that lull of cooking dinner.
Breaded barbecue chicken is great for times when you want barbecue chicken but for some reason can’t grill out. Maybe it’s raining and last week it did that several times. So, this just bakes right in the oven which means you can enjoy this year around, too.
The next time I fix this breaded barbecue chicken I will place the chicken on a bun and make sandwiches with them. You know, to help appease Jason’s breaded chicken sandwich preference.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoon melted margarine
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients together except chicken and flour.
- Place chicken in a ziploc bad and sprinkle flour,salt and pepper over chicken until chicken is coated. Shake chicken in bag to help coat with flour. The amount of flour will depend on the size of your chicken but I would start with a 1/2 cup and increase as necessary.
- Melt butte in a skillet.
- Place chicken breast coated with flour in the skillet, on medium to high heat to allow it to get browned on the outside. This is not the method for cooking the chicken. About 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and pour sauce over chicken.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.
- Remove foil and allow to bake for 5-10 minutes longer.