Homemade Biscuits- Soft and flaky and best served with a drizzle of honey.
This only regret I have with this recipe is that I am just now sharing it with you. Once you make homemade biscuits and realize how easy they are you will never go back to the store kind. Well, maybe in a pinch. 😉
I have made several different kinds of homemade biscuits the past several years. I just love trying out new recipes so it doesn’t matter how good one is I will still try a new one just for the fun of it. This particular recipe is delicious and easy to make. You’ll have fresh and warm homemade biscuits in no time.
I love to fix breakfast sandwiches with these biscuits, enjoy biscuits and gravy and of course a drizzle of honey on top of a pat of butter.
If I am making a full recipe then I usually freeze some of the biscuits. I line a pan with parchment paper and place the biscuits on the pan, unbaked. I place in the freezer until frozen and then place in a freezer ziploc bag. Once you’re ready to bake just place on a baking sheet and bake for an extra minute or two. I usually half the recipe which yields great results.
Homemade biscuits are great for busy weeknights. Instead of rushing around to fix a big dinner just have breakfast for dinner. I also like to have biscuits if we are having fried chicken. The two were meant for one another.
- 4 cups Self-Rising Flour
- 1 T. Baking powder
- 1 T. Sugar
- 3/4 cup. Shortening
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- Mix all ingredients just until blended. I like to use my pastry blender.
- Dust counter top with flour and roll out dough.
- Use a floured biscuit cutter or small drinking glass to cut biscuits.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 400 degrees.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- I begin checking to see if they are done at around 10 minutes. Sometimes I only bake a small number at a time and the baking time will be less.