Blueberry-coconut banana-nut bread-Banana-but bread with blueberries, a streusel topping with flaked coconut and walnuts. You may have a hard time sharing, since it's so delicious!
I love making banana bread and have a freezer full of ripe bananas for when the craving hits me. I also love trying recipe variations and this one hits the spot.
I am not sure what the star is in this delicious bread. It may have to be the blueberries. They are definitely noticeable but not overpowering. The coconut and blueberry together is phenomenal. All my blueberry recipes may need to have a sprinkle of flaked coconut now. 🙂
When baking with blueberries I have become partial to the frozen wild blueberries. I think it's the size that makes them so great. Small enough that you know you're eating blueberries but not too big that they take over. You can use fresh blueberries as well, though!
Give this blueberry-coconut banana-nut bread a try and you won't be disappointed. I'm off to eat a piece right now! 🙂
Blueberry-coconut banana-nut bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups mashed bananas 4 to 5 medium
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup low fat yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup flaked coconut
- recipe Streusel-Nut Topping optional
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons butter
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease bottom and ½ inch up the sides of one 9x5x3-inch pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together eggs, bananas, sugars, and yogurt.
- Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture.
- Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Toss ½ cup of blueberries with 1 Tbsp. flour.
- Fold blueberries and walnuts into batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan(s).
- Sprinkle an additional ¼ cup blueberries and streusel topping over batter.
- Sprinkle flaked coconut over the streusel topping.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary to prevent over browning, cover loosely with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking. Cool in pan(s) on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Cool completely on rack.
- Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar and flour.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in walnuts.
Zucchini Bread with lemon glaze
I'm loving the coconut in this bread! Yum! 🙂
Thanks! It is a great addition! 🙂