Peach Pie is a summer dessert must make and this recipe will have you craving more than just one slice. Fresh peaches from the orchard make this pie so sweet and delicious however grocery store peaches work great too.
I’ve made several peach pies this summer so I could get the recipe exactly how I wanted it to be. One of the tips I have is about the pie plate. I have a several pie plates and each have their own purpose but for this pie I prefer this pie plate. It’s a basic 9 inch Pyrex pie plate but without the fluted edges or handles. This pie plate holds the crust perfectly and is deep enough for the pie filling. If you don’t have the exact pie plate I’d make sure you’re at least using a 9 inch glass one.
The juicier the peaches the better, right? While testing my recipe I had some peaches that were juicier than others but that’s okay because you’re not going to keep all the juice anyways. To prep the peaches for the pie we are adding sugar to them and letting them rest for an hour which allows them to release their natural juices and soften a bit before being added to the pie crust. To help the pie not be so soupy all the peach juice will not be used. Although, if your pie turns out “soupy” it will still taste delicious. 🙂
- 1 double pie crust homemade or store bought
- 6 cups fresh peaches The amount of peaches will depend on their size but 8 is how many I used
- 1 cup plus one tablespoon sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp sugar granulated or turbinado sugar can be used for the top of the pie crust
- Peel and slice peachesPlace sliced peaches in a large bowl and sprinkle 1 cup sugar over peaches and allow to sit for one hour, stirring occasionally.Prepare pie crust based on recipe or package instructions. Roll dough out and place in a 9inch pie plate and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil. Place baking sheet in oven while preparing the pie.After the peaches have been sitting for one hour, drain the juice into a large bowl, using a colander.Set peaches in bowl and reserve 1/3 cup of the peach juice and set aside. Sprinkle 1 tbsp flour over peaches and toss.In a medium saucepan combine cornstarch, the 1/3 cup peach juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and cook over medium heat until thickened.Remove thickened peach juice from heat and add lemon juice, almond extract and vanilla and pour over peaches.Pour peaches into pie crust and top with the top half of the pie crust.Combine egg and milk and beat together with forkOnce top of crust is assembled brush the top with the milk/egg mixture and sprinkle the two tablespoons of sugar on top of the crust. Carefully remove hot baking sheet from oven and place pie on center of baking sheet and place in oven.Bake until crust is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees, rotate baking sheet and bake 25-35 minutes longer or until peach juices are bubbly. If the top of the crust gets too brown, use aluminum foil to make a tent over the top.Let pie cool on wire rack until filling a set for about two hours.
Check out my recipe for white pie. It’s one of my favorite pies.