Breakfast Snack Mix- Toasted oat cereal, Almonds, Corn Chex Cereal, Pretzels make for a delicious mid-morning sweet and salty snack.
Happy 2015! This Breakfast Snack Mix recipe is my first post in 2015 and I think it's a great way to kick off the year. I don't know about you, but if I eat breakfast not too long after I wake up then I am hungry way before lunchtime. The snack mix is perfect to curb my hunger until lunch. This can easily by an "anytime" snack and not just a morning one, but it really does make for a great mid morning treat. Sweet & salty really is good all the time. Am I right?!
I used dried cranberries to make this but raisins would be delicious in this as well. The variety of cereals that can be used in this is also up to you. Play around with different flavors, if you wish. As I was making this I was thinking of the different cereals that would be fun to use. Next time I make this I'm going to use yogurt covered craisins. YUMM!
This breakfast snack mix is a bit sticky...consider yourself warned! 😉
I hope you find yourself enjoying this snack as much as I have. Also, is you're like me, hopefully it will curb your hunger until lunchtime.
Breakfast Snack Mix
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light-color corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups round toasted oat cereal
- 2 cups miniature pretzel twists/sticks
- 2 cups bite-size square corn cereal
- 2 cups almonds cashews or peanuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- Line two 15x10x10 inch baking pans with foil; coat foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Set pans aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and baking soda. Stir in oat cereal, pretzels, corn cereal, almonds, and, if desired, dried cranberries until coated.
- Divide cereal mixture between the prepared baking pans; cool. Break mixture apart into bite-size pieces.
- Transfer to a resealable plastic bag or an airtight storage container; seal or cover tightly.
- Let stand at room temperature overnight.