Chocolate Chip Doughnut Muffins-Mini doughnuts baked in a muffin pan with chocolate chips and a hint of nutmeg. When they are fresh out of the oven dip them in melted butter and dip again in a cinnamon sugar mixture!
YOU GUYS! These sweet and spicy (not in a hot way) little doughnut muffins are so, so, so good! The hint of nutmeg balances so well with the cinnamon sugar topping and then there is the burst of chocolate chips..Oh, these little doughnut muffins are so tasty!
I made these a couple of days ago and in fact, I wasn’t planning on doing any baking at all. However, the kitchen was calling my name and as was my mini muffin pan. Am I the only one who feels the need to pay equal amounts of attention to my baking pans and dishes? No, okay I guess I’m the odd one. 🙂 I felt like I was neglecting my mini muffin pan and just wanted to use it since it had been a while.
I believe this is the first recipe I have shared on my blog that requires a mini muffin pan. I can’t remember exactly as I am filling up my recipe index each week. However, I do suggest that you use a mini muffin pan for these cuties rather than a regular size pan.
This recipe is fun, versatile and delicious. I’ll be making these again in a few months and adding in pumpkin. Speaking of pumpkin I noticed the other day on Pinterest that there were several pins popping up of pumpkins. I didn’t mind it though, because fall and winter are my favorite seasons.
These chocolate chip doughnut muffins would make a great breakfast for the upcoming 4th of July holiday. They are quick to make and you can throw the leftovers in an airtight container and munch on them throughout the day!
Chocolate Chip Doughnut Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon softened butter divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup sugar divided
- 1 egg beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips I prefer mini
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans optional
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg in a mixing bowl
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon softened butter, brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, egg and milk.
- Pour sugar mix over flour and whisk until incorporated.
- Do not overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pecans if using.
- Spoon batter into a greased mini muffin pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes
- Melt remaining butter
- In a separate bowl combine remaining sugar and cinnamon
- Once muffins are fully cooked remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack for 3-5 minutes
- Remove muffins
- Using one muffin at a time dip in melted butter and then the cinnamon-sugar mix and place on wire rack.