Tis the season for peppermint! I know some people feel it's too early to share Christmas recipes but I just couldn't resist. I still have a few recipes to share that will be perfect for Thanksgiving and those will be coming in the next couple of weeks. With that said, let's talk peppermint! I personally love peppermint and especially paired with chocolate. If you follow me on Instagram then you saw that I bought some holiday cookies that I am excited about.
Peppermint cupcakes can be made using your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe and then adding 1 tsp of peppermint extract to your favorite frosting recipe. For these cupcakes I tried a new chocolate cupcake recipe but used my trusty, tried and true classic white frosting recipe.
I would love to know what your favorite peppermint recipes are! Leave me a comment and let me know.
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- ⅔ cup cold water
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
For the Frosting
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tabelspoons milk
For the cupcakes
- Lightly coat a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening with a mixer on medium speed to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add ½ cup sugar and vanilla.
- Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and water to shortening mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Thoroughly wash beaters.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Gradually add ⅓ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Fold one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into chocolate batter to lighten.
- Gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Gently fold in chocolate pieces.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening. vanilla and peppermint extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat well. Add 2 tablespoons of milk. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar . Add enough of the remaining milk to make the frosting a spreadable consistency.