What's the weather like where you live? It was -2 this morning when Jason left for work. Here in Louisville we are expecting record breaking low temperatures for the next several days. In addition to that, we also have about 8 inches of snow on the ground. All the winter weather started late Sunday evening. My in-laws drove here on Sunday for a short visit which got even shorter because of the weather. We didn't have any big plans so it worked out fine. I made this lasagna recipe and some cupcakes that I will be sharing the recipe for pretty soon.
I love making lasagna when we are having guests. I personally love lasagna and Jason "likes" it and since it is a lot for two people I tend to not make it very often, that is unless we are having company. That way there's more mouths to feed and less leftovers in the fridge. Although, what leftovers there are..they're pretty good!
How do you feel about lasgana? Love it? Hate it? Are you like my husband and asks where the mushrooms are? Ummm...there's some fresh ones in the fridge, babe. I bought some and put on a homemade pizza for you. Is that not enough mushroom for one week?!?! 🙂
Feel free to add some mushrooms if you've got a mushroom luva in your family. I try to be sneaky, but it never works!!
During dinner everyone was raving about the lasagna and asked if I would be sharing the recipe on the blog. My response was, "look for it this week"!
- 1 Package of Lasagna noodles
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 pound of Italian Sausage
- 3 garlic cloves
- Onion I cut the onion into medium size pieces and used about ⅛ of a cup Add more if you prefer.
- 1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 2 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz. can of Italian Style tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.2 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 8 oz. packages of Mozzarella Cheese I buy the blocks of cheese
- Parmesan Cheese I bought a 10 oz. container
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 small container of Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large stock pot boil lasagna noodles based on package directions. I used 8 noodles.
- I remove mine from the water about 2-3 minutes earlier than the package recommends. I place the cooked noodles on a sheet of aluminum foil.
- In a large skillet cook sausage and ground beef with onion and garlic.
- Drain fat.
- Add cans of tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add sugar, salt, pepper and spices.
- Allow to simmer together for about 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl add the ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, parsley, and pepper. Mix all together until creamy.
- Layer the casserole dish with a layer of lasagna noodles on bottom.
- Followed by a layer of the cheese mixture.
- Next add a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- A layer of the meat mixture.
- Repeat the process, ending with the last of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkles the remaining Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
Remove from fridge about 20-30 minutes before baking. The lasagna may need to be baked a few minutes longer.