Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins- Muffins flavored with lemon zest and lemon juice and loaded with poppy seeds and you can't forget the lemon glaze that is drizzled over the top.
My winter lovin' heart is getting caught up on the lack of winter weather my husband and I have experienced the last few years. The snow that is outside my window right now is more snow that we have seen in a very long time. It has made me happy!!! Except the three daily walks I give the dog.... when I have to venture out in the snow that's when it's not as much fun.
However, one of my favorite things to do when it snows is read. So, lately I have had the chance to read some of my cookbooks that Jason bought me for Christmas. Reading cookbooks leads to baking in the kitchen which lead to today's recipe. It's from Baking: From My Home to Yours.
As mush as I love snow and winter I also love fresh lemons. Is it possible to have a lemon tree in my backyard?? Probably not one that produces beautiful, juicy lemons, eh. Oh well, I guess buying them from the grocery will have to suffice. Next time you buy some (or pick some) you should make these insanely delicious lemon poppy seed muffins. Yes, they are insanely delicious!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are what most of us need right now to help brighten our day. The past week has been dreadful for many and these muffins are like a burst of sunshine. Kinda cheesy, but true!
The best part of these lemon poppy seed muffins is the sweet and tangy lemon glaze that gets poured over the top of the muffins, after they have cooled.
With the first bite you're going to feel like it's a bright and sunny day and you're wearing your favorite sundress. Shortly after you devour the delicious muffin, the dog will have to go outside for the twentieth time and you're instantly reminded that it's eight degrees and there's a foot of snow on the ground. 🙂
Stay warm, friends!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- ⅔ cup sugar
- grated zest and juice of one lemon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, rub the sugar and the lemon zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of the lemon is strong.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter together until well blended.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently stir to blend.
- Don't overmix.
- Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.
- Cool the muffins completely on the rack before icing them.
To Make the Icing
- Put the confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl and add about 1 ½ tablespoons of the lemon juice. Stir with a spoon to moisten the sugar, then add enough additional lemon juice, a dribble at a time, to get an icing that is thin enough to drizzle from the tip of the spoon.
- Drizzle glaze over the muffins.
Good morning Tiffany!
I am so very PROUD of you! I don't know how you manage all these recipes, then photos etc. Cameras and Jill do not go together!lol I bet you did get lots of snow! We are down to mostly ice melting then refreezing. Carbondale and that area got it much worse than we did. The below 6 or whatever temp one day is what closed the schools more so than the road conditions.
I miss seeing your smiling face>>>so then I go here to your blog and "wa-lah" there you are!
Love you girlie!
Thanks so much, Jill! Your comment made my day! I miss you all, too and I hope you all are doing well! I love that you stop by and read my blog!!! 🙂 🙂