Sausage and Spinach Stuffed Manicotti- Italian sausage, spinach and three cheeses all stuffed into manicotti noodles and topped with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese. Comfort food at its finest!
You guys!! This sausage and spinach stuffed manicotti is so delicious!! This recipe can be made using store bought spaghetti sauce which is a time saver if you want to go that route. This dish smells amazing and is the perfect meal if you want to take to someone or invite people over for dinner.
Pasta. Good! Meat. Good! Sauce. Good! Cheese. Good! I mean, it's a pan of comfort food that will make your house smell amazing while it's baking. I opened the oven door one too many times just so I could smell this dish. Then, as I closed the door I would say, "oh man!" Sadly. only my dog could hear me. However, that's how great this sausage and spinach stuffed manicotti is. I believe this recipe came from a former co-worker/friend. It's a recipe that is handwritten on an index card and I am pretty sure I know who it came from. Now, I write a little note on my cards with the date and the person's name who gave it to me so I will always know where it is from.
By the way, I share pictures of my dog on Instagram if you would like to follow me on there. Back to the deliciousness in the surrounding photos. I cook the manicotti based on the package directions (keep in mind they are going to bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes) and once they are ready to be removed from the boiling water I use tongs to lift them from the water and drain the excess water from them. Then, I place on wax paper to cool before I begin stuffing them.
The meat could be prepared a head of time to help speed things up while making this dish. The overall time spent to make these is not that long but it never hurts to be a step ahead.
Would you like some manicotti with that Parmesan cheese?!? Who's the goober that doused that delicious looking manicotti with all that powdered cheese... Uhhhh That would be me, folks! 🙂 I tend to do that sort of thing to food.
You should see my BBQ sandwiches. It's 99.9% sauce!
Sausage and Spinach stuffed Manicotti
- 2 packages One pound each Italian Sausage
- One 8 oz. package of manicotti
- 1 small package of frozen spinach thawed and water drained from it
- ½ cup Ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella cheese grated
- Cook Manicotti according to package directions. Don't overcook them because then they will fall apart and it will be too difficult to stuff them. Once removed from the boiling water, place them on wax paper to cool.
- Cook sausage and drain.
- Drain water from thawed spinach.
- Pour meat into a large mixing bowl.
- Add spinach.
- Add Parmesan and Ricotta cheese to the bowl with the sausage and spinach.
- Add salt, pepper, and beaten eggs.
- In casserole dish pour half the spaghetti sauce into the bottom of it.
- Stuff manicotti with the meat mixture and place in the casserole dish.
- Once all manicotti have been stuffed pour the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-50 minutes.