Zucchini Bread with lemon glaze- Delicate zucchini bread infused with lemon zest and brushed with a tangy lemon buttermilk glaze.
Do you have more zucchini running out of your ears right now?!? We do not, but a few years ago when we were still living in Illinois we had a garden that had enough cherry tomatoes and zucchini to feed the masses. I hope to have a garden again someday but until then my zucchini comes from the farmers market or the grocery store. I love to bake with zucchini annnddd I also love to fry it. AHEM!! I have not had fried zucchini in sooo long. It may be time to fix some.
Back to the zucchini bread with lemon glaze. This bread is so delicious. It is light and flavorful but not overpowering. The buttermilk in the glaze helps to give it a little tang but still balances out the sourness from the lemon juice. Also, the lemon zest added to the bread mixture just gives the bread a hint of freshness while the nutmeg gives the bread a little spice. This bread is a delicious way to use your bulk of zucchini.
To get the shredded zucchini I peeled it and cut it into big pieces and then placed it in our Ninga processing bowl to shred it. It worked perfectly. I made this zucchini bread in mini loaf pans but use a regular size loaf pan if you like. I almost made muffins but decided miniature loaves of bread sounded great and it's easier to give away.
Homemade bread makes a fantastic food gift and this zucchini bread is a tasty one to share with friends and family. Once the glaze has set just wrap the bread in saran wrap to seal in the freshness and then I cut a strip from a brown paper bag, wrapped it around the loaf and tied it with twine. Super easy, inexpensive and cute! You could add a tag on there as well.
What do you enjoy making with zucchini? You can leave me a comment and let me know. I am always looking for new ways to use zucchini.
Zucchini Bread with lemon glaze
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup butter melted and somewhat cooled
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray pan that is being used with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar,baking powder,baking soda and salt.
- Whisk together.
- Add zucchini and lightly stir into the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine melted butter, milk, lemon zest and egg.
- Pour over flour mixture and stir until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Approximately 50 minutes, depending on the type of pan you use it could be a few minutes more or less.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire racks.
- In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Drizzle or brush over bread once it has cooled.