Funfetti Cake- From scratch funfetti cake with homemade butter cream frosting.
Sprinkles are soo much fun!! How can you not smile while baking..or eating sprinkles They are so colorful and obviously they brighten a baked good very, very well. Funfetti cake is "the cake" for birthdays. It's too pretty not to be. All the bright colors are so festive and celebratory.
Today is actually my dad and my brother's birthday. It's pretty cool that they share a birthday. My little brother turns 21 today! Not so little, huh? I'll always refer to him as my "little" brother, though.
Unfortunately, I won't get to see him today. I mailed his birthday card earlier in the week and I'll call him to tell him, "Happy Birthday!" However, we have to share birthday cake virtually since we live 3 hours away from one another.
To make this cake I tweaked a "from scratch" white cake recipe and added sprinkles.... or jimmies depending on where you live. I was happy with the results, except I am not a cake decorator, so I don't think it's very pretty and I wish I would have been more generous with the middle of buttercream frosting.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ cup sprinkles
- ¾ cup 1 ½ sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two round 8 or 9 inch baking pans.
- Combine dry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add butter, milk and vanilla.
- Turn speed to low and mix for about one minute.
- Scrape bowl.
- Add egg whites.
- Turn speed to medium and beat about 1 more minutes or until smooth and fluffy.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the sprinkles.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans, as evenly as possible.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool completely on wired racks.
- Frost, if desired.
- Place butter in bowl of an electric mixer.
- Turn to medium and beat for 30 seconds.
- Stop and scrape bowl.
- Sift powdered sugar into bowl.
- Add vanilla and milk.
- Reduce speed to low and beat for 30 seconds.
- Scrape bowl again and turn to medium speed and beat for two minutes or until fluffy.
When do u add the sprinkles and how many? This sounds so good and such a great idea!!
I guess that's an important part of the recipe, huh?!? 🙂 I added 1/3 of a cup and gently folded them into the batter right before I added the batter to the pans.
Thalia @ butter and brioche
This is one incredible funfetti cake! I love how moist, sweet and delicious it looks - and I love all the sprinkle action going on too! Wish I had a slice.
The Blonde Chef
You're right! Sprinkles are so celebratory, who wouldn't want them on their birthday cake? Love this fun cake recipe!