Sweet potatoes is one of my favorite holiday side dishes and the sweet potatoes I enjoyed eating, and still do, are not the healthy kind. The best sweet potatoes are covered in butter, brown sugar and marshmallows! This No Fail Sweet Potatoes Recipe has just that!
A couple of years ago I shared how my grandma prepared sweet potatoes while I was growing up and today's recipe is different because it uses canned yams. Canned yams are surprisingly tasty and make a great side dish. My husbands's grandma fixes them in a cast iron skillet and I always look forward to them during the holidays.
I call this no fail sweet potatoes cause it can be prepared in just a few short minutes, doesn't dirty a bunch of dishes and and only requires about 20-30 minutes of baking time. If you're feeling strapped for time this Thanksgiving and wondering how you're going to get everything done then this is a good recipe to make to help free up some of your time. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled depending on how many you are serving. I made this for four adults and we had leftovers.
No Fail Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large can of yams 40oz.
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Approximately 1 cup of miniature marshmallows. more or less depending on your preference
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Open can of yams and drain juice.
- Pour potatoes into a deep baking dish.
- Top with butter and brown sugar and gently toss.
- Place in oven uncovered and cook until juice is at a hard boil. (around 20-30 minutes)
- Take out of oven and top with marshmallows.
- Place back in oven until marshmallows are golden brown.