I have always wanted to make a pumpkin cake roll. It has been one of those recipes that always stands out while looking for a great Thanksgiving dessert. Honestly, though, I was afraid I couldn't make one. I always envisioned "rolling" the cake while it crumbled everywhere and that I would have to turn it into a punch bowl cake. However, I couldn't have been more wrong. Making a pumpkin roll was fairly simple. I think if you have been wanting to make one yourself then you shouldn't put it off any longer because it really is a pretty dessert that everyone will think you spent hours preparing. If you follow a few important steps then you will have a beautiful pumpkin roll to enhance the dessert table.
It is very important that you use a 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Any other pan dimensions and the cake will not roll properly, if at all. Another important factor is to apply a generous layer of filling but not to overdo it. If you add too much filling then it will squeeze out while rolling the cake. This will not effect the taste of the cake but will effect the overall appearance of it.
If you have never made a pumpkin roll then I hope you will consider trying this one. I enjoyed baking it and then sending it off with my husband to share with his co-workers. He said the reviews were great!
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Powdered Sugar
For the filling
- 1 8- ounce. package cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- 1 and ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 and ½ cups powdered sugar
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 min.
- Grease a 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper or parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a small bowl stir together flour,cinnamon,baking powder,ginger,salt and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with an electrix mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon color.
- Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed until light and fluffy. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice. Beat in flour mixture on low to medium speed just until combined.
- Spread batter evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 12 minutes .
- Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a clean kitchen towel, generously sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Remove waxed paper.
- Roll towel and cake into a spiral; starting from a short side of the cake.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla on medium speed until smooth.
- Gradually beat in the 1 and ½ cups powdered sugar.
- Unroll cake and remove towel.
- Spread cake with filling to within 1 inch of the edges.
- Roll up cake; without the towel
- Cover and chill for 2 to 48 hours.
- Dust with powdered sugar