Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes-Free up cooking space on your stove by using your slow cooker to make the yummiest mashed potatoes.
Slow cooker cooking is my jam! My slow cooker *almost* has a permeant home on my countertop because I use it so often. It makes sense that one of my favorite side dishes could be made in one of my favorite cooking appliances! 🙂
What is needed?
Salt and Pepper
Nothing out of the ordinary is needed to make these, but they're definitely worth trying.
More about Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Use the slow cooker to not only keep the potatoes on warm, but to also cook the potatoes. Peel russet potatoes, cut them into 1'' pieces, approximately and cook in she slow cooker. I cooked mine for about 4.5 hours on low or you can plan on 7-8 hours on high. Check them every hour for tenderness. Poke with a fork and if they start to break then they're done. Technically you can mash them in the slow cooker too but I chose to mash them in a separate bowl and then place back in the slow cooker to keep on warm. So easy and the flavor the potatoes get from cooking in the chicken broth is so delicious.
I used 4 or 5 medium potatoes but you can add more depending on how many people you're cooking for. If doubling or tripling the amount of potatoes then add more broth to make sure the potatoes are completely covered and use more cream cheese and butter for creaminess. These potatoes do not need much salt since they're cooked with chicken broth so start with only a small amount.
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- slow cooker
- potato masher
- 4-5 medium size russet potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of seasoning salt
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1'' pieces
- Place in slow cooker and pour chicken broth over the top. Pour enough to make sure all the potatoes are covered in the liquid so the potatoes don't turn brown
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Carefully drain potatoes in a colander and place in a bowl to be mashed
- Begin mashing potatoes with potato masher and add cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper, seasoning salt and milk for creaminess, as needed.
- Place in a serving bowl or back in the slow cooker on warm setting if you're not ready to serve them.