Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup– is comfort food on a cold winter’s day and is sure to warm you up. As soon as a the temperature’s drop I crave soup, but especially this soup. We enjoy this all winter long. This is a great recipe to make for guests and be prepared for them to ask you for the recipe.
What is gnocchi?
Gnocchi is an Italian pasta that is commonly known as being small dumpling shaped and made from potatoes. However, it can be made from breadcrumbs, cornmeal, egg or similar ingredients.
What’s in Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Heavy Whipping Cream
Gnocchi (I use half of the package and keep the rest of the package sealed tightly in the refrigerator)
Flour ( to make a roux)
Chicken Gnocchi Soup is pretty pantry staple friendly but in case you don’t have gnocchi it can be found in the pasta aisle.
How to make creamy chicken gnocchi soup?
Melt butter in a large dutch oven. Add the celery and carrots and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add onion and garlic and cook 5 more minutes. Sprinkle flour over the carrots and celery mixture and stir to fully coat. Pour chicken broth in pot and add seasonings and gnocchi. Add spinach, heavy cream and cook until warmed through. Top with parmesan cheese.
The leftover gnocchi soup is great reheated the next day for lunch, but I don’t recommend freezing it. I like to serve this soup with bread and salad to round out the meal.
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 2 cups chicken
- 2 cups celery
- 2 cups carrots
- half of a small onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp butter; divided
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- ½ 16 oz. package of gnocchi
- bay leaf optional
- pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tbsp crushed thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a large dutch oven or stock pot
- Add carrots and celery and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat
- Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes more
- If vegetables are tender, add the additional butter and melt
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetable mixture and stir to coat
- Allow flour to cook for about 1-2 minutes
- Slowly pour chicken broth into pot and add thyme, salt and pepper and bay leaf is using,
- Bring broth to a light boil and remove bay leaf, add gnocchi and chopped spinach and cook for 5 minutes
- Add chopped chicken and heavy whipping cream and cook until heated through and top with parmesan cheese