I can't believe I am sharing a 4th of July recipe, but it is less than a month away. I don't know how that's possible...July is also my baby's birthday month. I am about to have a one year old!! Excuse me while I go cry for a moment. Seriously, it's been a great year with Grayson and I'll just write a blog post on it because there's plenty to say. Back to the cupcakes, shall we?
I doctored up a box of funfetti cake mix and used can frosting. I had a lot of fun making the zigzags to place in the cupcakes. It took me a little bit to figure out how to actually make them so they would hold up in the cupcakes. After a few attempts I figured out how best to make the zigzags so they wouldn't break so easily. I'd suggest not traveling with these and not taking them outside. They will melt and they will melt very quickly!! The red zigzags you see in the collage picture is the way to make them. Not too skinny, vertical zigzags but not hard vertical lines like I mistakenly did a bunch of times.
To make these fun sparkler cupcakes I used these Piping Bags, with this Wilton 2d Tip and of course you have to have the candy melts in white, red and royal blue. I found my cupcake liners came from Michaels but I can't find the exact ones online.
- I box of funfetti cake mix stars & stripes theme
- I used 2 cans of frosting in the stars and stripes theme
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup oil
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners
- In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, buttermilk, vanilla, water and oil
- Using a hand mixer beat on medium speed for approximately 2 minutes
- Fill liners about ⅔ of the way full
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 19-23 min
- Insert toothpick in center to check for doneness
- Allow to cool on wired racks
- Insert piping bag into a glass tip side down and fold the excess bag over the glass.
- Insert piping tip and make sure it's all the way to the bottom and cut where it needs to be cut
- Fill with icing and use a clip to tie off the end.
- Begin pipping frosting onto the cupcakes once they have cooled and top with sprinkles.
- Insert sparkler pieces.
To make sparkler pieces
- Melt ¼ cup of candy pieces one at a time
- Insert a piping bag into a glass, tip down and fold the excess over the glass
- Pour in the melted candy
- Cut a hole off the end of the bag, start small and keep cutting until the hole is the right size
- Make zig zags along a wax paper lined baking sheet (apron 8-9 inches in length and ¼ of an inch in thickness)
- Place in the freezer for about an hour
- Slowly peel the paper away from the zigzags and gently place them inside the frosting.
I hope you have fun making these!!