This blog post was originally shared at Your home based mom's blog.
I love the idea of giving handmade gifts at the holidays. Every year I tell my husband that I wish we all made homemade gifts and exchanged those rather than "stuff" from the store. Don't get me wrong I always have a list for Santa, but I still love the idea of handmade gifts.
I am sharing a homemade gift and it doesn't get much easier than this one. Toffee Blondies in a jar. These toffee blondies are delicious and the presentation is simple yet pretty.
All the dry ingredients are layered in a quart size jar. Write out the recipe on an index card or a pretty recipe card, wrap the card around the jar using string or bakers twine and you're good to go.
This particular food gift is great for the upcoming busy holiday season. The jars can be made ahead of time and the ingredients will keep for one month as long as it is stored in a cool, dry place.
I placed each ingredient in a bowl, one at a time and spooned the ingredients into the quart jar. This kept me from making a big mess and keeps the jars looking neat.
I love a handwritten recipe and always write who the recipe is from and the date it was given to me. A hand written recipe is a gift in and of itself, but add the ingredients for these toffee blondies in a jar for me to make and I am one happy girl.
Seriously, I would love a gift of toffee blondies in a jar!
Be sure to check out the giveaway that's going on with the Bake, Craft, Sew Event. You can enter for a chance to win a Blendtec blender here.
Toffee Blondies in a Jar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- ½ cup toffee pieces (I used the chocolate toffee pieces
- In a quart jar, layer brown sugar, chocolate pieces, flour, baking powder, salt, nuts and toffee pieces. Fasten lid.
- Include instruction for making bars
TO MAKE TOFFEE BLONDIES
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8x2 inch baking pan.
- In a bowl combine, ¼ cup butter, 2 lightly beaten eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Stir in contents of the jar.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown,
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan on a wired rack.