Apple Pie Pull Apart Bread-Homemade bread with diced apples and apple pie spice and a warm frosting poured over the top.
Happy Monday! I hope you had a great weekend! The weather here was AMAZING! I love cooler temperatures and being able to wear my fall clothes. On Saturday we went to Cincinnati and watched the Cardinals and Reds game. It's much closer for us to drive to Cincinnati to watch our Cardinals than it is to drive to St.Louis. It rained a little bit for us while we were there but once we got back home in Louisville the sun was shinning and it was in the sixties.
Since the presence of fall I have been craving all things apple, pumpkin and cinnamon. This Apple Pie Pull-Apart Bread fits the bill....It's the perfect fall morning breakfast....or dessert. Whichever you prefer.
To get the pull-apart effect of the bread you need the dough to be cut into pieces and then stacked together and baked. Begin by cutting the rectangle in half lengthwise. Then, make five cuts crosswise to create ten 6X4 inch strips. Next, you layer the strips into two stacks of five strips each. Lastly you cut each stack crosswise into 4x2 inch portions and place on their sides in your prepared loaf pan. The measurements are an approximation.
Apple Pie Pull-Apart Loaf
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 package of instant dry yeast
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped peeled apples (I used one large granny smith)
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 2 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Enough milk to make the consistency spreadable 2-3 tablespoons, approximately
- In a small saucepan heat milk just until warm, about 110 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine warm milk and yeast, stir until yeast is dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the egg, the ¼ cup melted butter, the granulated sugar and salt to yeast mixture.
- Beat with mixer on medium speed until combined. Add half of the flour; beat on low for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl as needed.
- Beat 3 minutes on medium. Stir in the remaining flour.
- Shape dough into a ball. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size, approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a 20x12-inch rectangle.
- Brush with the ¼ cup melted butter. Sprinkle with apples, brown sugar and apple pie spice.
- Cut rectangle in half lengthwise to make two 20x6 inch pieces. Cut each piece crosswise into five 6x4 inch strips. Carefully make two stacks of five 6x4 inch strips. Carefully make two stacks of five strips each. Cut each stack into 4x2 inch pieces.
- Loosely stager pieces in prepared pan, cut sides up. Cover, and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from and place upside down on platter. Cool for twenty more minutes.
- Drizzle with icing.
- In a bowl beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in enough milk to make a drizzling consistency.
Looking for more fall recipes? Check these out.
This information is priceless. How can I find out more?