Banana Cake- This is not your average cake recipe. This really is the BEST BANANA CAKE around.
I have been making this cake for about 7 years now. Everyone loves it and will always ask me for the recipe.
When life gives you ripe bananas…make banana cake. Then, frost it with a cream cheese frosting. SO GOOD!!
The tangy cream cheese frosting is the best way to frost a banana cake. The two go together so well! You might even crave a piece at 2:00 in the morning when you’re unable to sleep. Unfortunately, I was caught. I had the fridge door open and was eating the cake straight from the pan. My husband asks, “what are you doing?” LOL!! I guess I need to be a bit quieter when sneaking into the kitchen for a late night snack. 😉
I have always followed this recipe as is, since it was first given to me. However, sometimes I have had to bake in longer than just an hour. About an hour and twenty minutes is usually how long I need. Also, this recipe requires the cake to be placed in the freezer immediately from the oven. Make sure you’re using a pan that will not crack and have adequate space in the freezer before you begin.
The next time you have brown bananas sitting on your counter, do yourself a favor and make this banana cake!
- 1 ½ cups ripe bananas mashed (I used about 4 medium sized bananas)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1 ⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ⁄4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 ⁄2 cup butter softened
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1 ⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 metal cake pan.
- On a dinner plate place the peeled bananas and use a fork to mash them.
- Then place bananas in a bowl and pour lemon juice on top; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream ¾ cup butter and 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Then stir in 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.