Banana Muffins with a crunch stresuel topping are a delicious way to start your morning. You will be re-heating these mid-morning just for another taste!
We eat a lot of bananas in our house. We eat them plain, slathered in peanut butter or in a smoothie. When I go to the grocery store and throw all the bananas in the cart it probably looks like we raise monkeys. lol! So, when I have a craving for banana bread or muffins I usually don't make anything right away because our bananas aren't around long enough to ripen. So, I buy bananas that I purposely want to turn brown so I can bake with them
This recipe can be used for banana bread or muffins. I send a lot of food with my husband to work so he can share with his co-workers and muffins are easier to share than a loaf of bread.
The streusel topping on these muffins is soooo good! It definitely takes the muffin up a notch. You could use the recipe for the stresuel topping on any of your favorite muffin flavors.
I also have a recipe for pumpkin muffins on the blog if you want to try that.
I would love to know what your favorite muffin is? Leave me a comment and let me know! Also, if you'd like, you can follow me on Facebook.
- 3 medium well ripened bananas (mashed)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts optional
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter diced
- Fill a muffin pan with liners.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix bananas and baking soda together and then set aside.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar. Stir in eggs.
- Then add flour,baking powder, buttermilk and salt. Mix well.
- Ann bananas and baking soda mix. Add walnuts, if using.
- Fill muffin liners ⅔ full
- Sprinkle with streusel topping
- Baking for 55-60 minutes. Rotating halfway.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender cut in the butter until small clumps form.