A one pot recipe for homemade chili, that’s full of meat and beans and simmered together for zesty flavor.
A pot of chili on a cool fall day is about as good as it gets. Am I right? As soon as the humidity is lower and the temps drop I think everyone starts grabbing the chili beans off the shelves. I also love a bowl of creamy chicken gnocchi soup during fall and winter.
This recipe uses many pantry staple ingredients:
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Juice (fresh from your garden or store bought)
- Tomato Sauce
- Chili Beans (I prefer pinto style)
- Black Beans
- Minced Garlic
- Ground Beef
- Ground Pork
- Sugar (just a teaspoon)
I also like to use these tomatoes and puree them in my food processor, but that’s just a personal preference. If possible using canned tomato juice from home grown tomatoes is great, but if you don’t have any then just use store bought. I prefer this kind.
How to make Chili
- Brown ground beef and ground pork
- Add Onion and garlic
- Add tomato juice, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, spices
- Let simmer two hours, at least
- Serve on hotdogs or with cheese and crackers
It will take about thirty minutes to cook the meat and get all the ingredients in the pot. Let the chili come to a soft boil and then turn the temperature down, cover with a lid and let it simmer gently. Stir every 15 minutes – 20 minutes.
What to serve with it
We love to add the hot dogs to the pot about thirty minutes before we are ready to eat. This makes the best chili dogs. The hot dogs are so flavorful cooked this way and sprinkle with cheese and have some crackers on the side.
Here’s the recipe! I hope you love it as much as we do.
- 46 oz can of tomato juice
- 1 14.5 oz Chili Ready Diced Tomatoes
- 1 8 oz Can of tomato sauce
- 1 15.5 oz can Mild Chili beans (I use pinto style)
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans
- half of an onion or one small onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Chipotle Chili Powder (add more if you like more spice)
- ½ tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot brown ground beef and ground pork until cooked through and drain.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft.Add tomato juice, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, spices and sugar.
- Stir all together.
- Cook together over medium heat and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat and cover for and hour and a half to two hours stirring often.
- Add hot dogs thirty minutes before you're ready to eat.