Sorry for my absence around here. I don't have a reason as to why I haven't posted much..I guess I've just been enjoying my summer a bit too much. That's a good reason!! We have had a busy summer and seems like we have been out of town a lot so that makes it difficult to keep up with blog posts.
I did have every intention of posting these creamsicle cupcakes weeks ago. I made them before we left for our vacation, but I never got the post uploaded until today. Good thing summer is not over and there's still plenty of time to enjoy these yummy creamsicle cupcakes.
Apology number two: Sorry that my two "recent" recipes, yet, weeks apart are both creamsicle recipes. It must be popular around here.......
Let's talk about these cupcakes..shall we?
They are from a box. It's fun to "doctor" up a boxed cake mix and turn it into yummy and delicious cupcakes.
The frosting is a cream cheese frosting. Need I say more? Didn't think so.
I did one swirl with orange coloring and one small swirl that I didn't color. You can color them all orange. Leave them all white. Do whatever your heart desires, but just have fun doing it!
- 1 3 ounce package orange-flavor gelatin
- 1 2- layer-size package white cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups orange juice
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Few drops orange food coloring optional
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line twenty-seven 2-½-inch muffin cups with foil bake cups.
- Set aside 2 teaspoons of the gelatin for the Frosting.
- In a mixing bowl beat the remaining gelatin, the cake mix, orange juice, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Transfer one-fourth of the frosting to a small bowl; beat in vanilla.
- To the remaining bowl of Cream Cheese Frosting add the reserved orange gelatin from the cupcakes.
- If desired, add a few drops orange food coloring. Beat to combine.