Fall Sugar Cookies- Sugar cookie dough that has been dyed fall colors and rolled out into fall shapes.
Happy 1ST day of fall. The weather is very much fall like where we live and I am loving every minute of it.
I hope it stays this way. I made these Fall Sugar Cookies the other day and my kids loved them.
What's the difference between a sugar cookie and fall sugar cookies?
Not much really! I called them fall cookies because of the colors and shapes that I used.
Is there chill time required for the cooke dough?
Yes. The dough needs to be well chilled for easier cutting and holding the shape and you'll want to keep refrigerated any dough you're not rolling or baking at the moment.
To dye the cookie dough I used my favorite gel colors. The colors of these gels are so vibrant!
What are the ingredients?
Vanilla Extract (may also use almond)
Leaf Shaped Cookie Cutters
Turkey Cookie Cutter- these would be great to make for Thanksgiving too
More cookies for fall:
Fall Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter unsalted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla or almond extract I prefer vanilla but almond is very common in sugar cookies
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Gel food colors Red, orange and yellow
- decorating sugar
- Combine butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Add eggs, milk, and almond extract, continue beating until combined. Do not over mix at this point.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour, and baking powder and mix until well mixed. about ½ cup at a time.
- Divide dough into thirds; place in three separate bowls and add a small amount of gel color at a time to each of the bowls to achieve a red, yellow and orange dough.
- Shape each dough into a ball; flatten each into ½ inch thickness. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about three hours.
- Heat oven to 400°
- Working with half the dough at a time (keep remaining dough in the refrigerator) drop tablespoon size pieces of dough from each of the three colors on a lightly floured surface into a random pattern, with dough touching. Roll out to ¼ inch thickness, forming a marbled design. Cut with leaf shaped cookie cutters, and try to have all three colors in each cookie.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with decorating sugar and Bake for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cookies should be stored in an air tight container and will last for 1-2 days.
Leave a Reply