Homemade Shake and Bake Mix-Quickly make a batch of homemade shake and bake mix to keep in your pantry-you probably have the ingredients on hand already!
A box of shake and bake mix was a staple in my mom’s cabinet when I was growing up. I remember having shake and bake pork chops fairly often alongside au gratin potatoes. Yum!
While grocery shopping recently I spotted a great deal on chicken legs and I stocked up. Thank goodness for deep freezers! Jason’s request for how to fix some of the chicken legs was shake and bake style. I thought that sounded like a great idea too cause it had been ages since I had fixed that for us.
This homemade shake and bake mix is delicious and I know my pictures don’t do it any justice but take my word for it. I almost didn’t post this because the pictures are cringe worthy but when everyone is starving and dinner is ready and I stop to take pictures it makes me feel a little rushed. So I snapped a few and we went on to chowing down.
This is a great weeknight meal and one that we will be enjoying more often.
Homemade Shake and Bake Mix
- 2 cups bread crumbs-I used plain but Italian style would be better I think.
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar or other air tight container.
- Before adding to the jar I used my food processor and pulsed it a few times to help get a finer texture. Not too fine though cause you don't want it to be powdery.
To use the mix
- Use 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of the mix for every 2 lbs of meat that you plan to use.
- In a large zip top bag combine the mix and the meat.
- Shake it until everything is covered.
- Lay the meat out on a baking sheet that's been sprayed with cooking spray and sprinkle any of the remaining mix over top.
- I like to pour a little melted butter over the tops of the meat to make them a bit more crispy.
- Cook the meat in the oven as normal, making sure it reaches proper internal temperature.
- This mixture can be used on chicken or pork.
Check out these other chicken recipes: