Warm sausage gravy smothered over homemade biscuits...it doesn't get much better than that! I LOVE biscuits and gravy and only enjoy them on the rare occasion. I mean they are quite filling!! I like them for dinner as much as I do breakfast.
We had a couple of mornings last week that were kinda chilly. It made me excited about the approaching change of season and also my favorite cozy foods. Biscuits and gravy are the utmost comfort food in the breakfast category.
I never follow a recipe while I make gravy. It's always been trial and error and there's been lots of errors. lol. So, while making this batch of gravy, I was careful to jot down what I was doing so that I could share it with you. I don't add a lot of ingredients to my gravy. I like to keep it simple and I prefer the taste that way.
I buy a pound of sausage at a time and if I am making biscuits and gravy I only cook three-fourths of it. I save a fourth of it to use on a homemade pizza.
- 1 pound of pork sausage
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- a pinch of seasoning salt
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink.
- Drain, reserving 2-3 tablespoons of the drippings in the skillet.
- Stir the flour into the drippings until blended.
- Cook and stir until golden brown.
- If you need more flour or drippings now is the time to add it.
- Gradually, stir in the milk. Be careful not to pour too much at once because it won't break down the flour as well if you do.
- Add the seasoning and stir until thickened.
- Spread over biscuits and enjoy!