Tomato based soup with carrots, spinach, sausage and cheese tortellini. It's perfect for cold days and bust nights since it doesn't take long to make. Intro paragraph for you to give a quick overview of this recipe, and entice the reader to continue reading because your recipe is fan-freaking-fantastic.
A delicious soup for cold winter days. It's warm and comforting.
If you enjoy soups then chicken gnocchi soup is another one that is warm and comforting and perfect for cold days.
Ingredients for sausage tortellini soup
- Italian sausage
- chicken broth
- tomato paste
- diced tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- bay leaf
- red pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Saute carrots in a large dutch oven then add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Remove from pan and cook sausage until cooked through with tomato paste. Pour in diced tomatoes, carrots and onion and bring to a simmer. Next, add seasonings and simmer for 10 minutes. Add tortellini and spinach.
Try topping your soup with grated parmesan cheese. Serving with garlic bread and a salad are also great with this soup.
Dutch oven is great for soups and chili recipes. Any large stockpot or dutch oven will work.
Store any leftovers in a bowl with tight fitting lid in the refrigerator for up to three days. I have not tried to freeze this. I would recommend freezing without the tortellini and then adding the tortellini before serving if you wish to freeze the soup.
Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Dutch Oven or Stockpot
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 small onion diced
- ½ lb Italian Sausage I use mild, but if you want more hear you can use spicy.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- 3 cups cheese tortellini
- 1-2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- butter or olive oil for cooking vegetables
- Add a tbsp of olive oil or butter to large pot and cook carrots and onion until soft. Add garlic and cook a couple more minutes.
- Remove carrots, onion and garlic from pot and add sausage.
- Cook sausage with tomato paste until cooked through and drain grease.
- Add vegetables back to the pot.
- Add diced tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Add seasonings and bay leaf.
- Bring to a light boil and allow to simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with parmesan cheese