Sweet and Sour Chicken-Breaded chicken smothered in homemade sweet and sour sauce. You will love being able to make this at home!
I have been in a real dinner funk lately where nothing sounds good to eat. I think we all have that happen to us but mine has lasted for weeks now. I feel like we eat the same type of meals, which are usually quick ones because I don't have much time to spend in the kitchen. Once again, I think we can all relate.
Browsing for recipes this weekend trying to meal plan I saw a couple of different ones for sweet and sour chicken and I was instantly taken back to our first couple of years of marriage when I use to make it for us. This sweet and sour chicken does require more cooking time than most of my other recipes as of lately but that's why I cooked it on the weekend when Jason was home. Having two people to entertain Grayson is definitely easier than one.
I combined a couple different recipes and then placed the chicken under the broiler. Using the broiler really helped to thicken the sauce and that makes it extra delicious. I served outs with white rice and broccoli and we loved it. It was nice to have something different for a change.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 lb chicken cut into bite size pieces
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ¾ cup corn starch start with ¾ and add more if you don't think you have enough I used 1 cup
- 2 large eggs whisked
- Canola oil approx. ½ cup
Sweet and sour sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ½ cup + 1 TB rice vinegar (distilled vinegar works if thats all you have
- 1 TB soy sauce
- Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- Place the chicken, corn starch, salt, pepper and garlic salt in a large ziplock bag and shake until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and place in the frying pan with a fork.
- Don't crowd your pan.
- Fry both sides of the chicken until light brown color.
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 20 minutes.
- Pull the chicken out and flip the chicken to evenly coat it with sauce.
- Then bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Place under broiler for 30 seconds to 1 minute, if you wish.