Upside-Down Apple Cake– Sliced apple layered on top of brown sugar, pecans and melted butter with cake batter poured on top of the apples.
Here’s my first official fall recipe for the fall baking season. Fall baking…. I feel as if it is a momentous occasion. It’s like a holiday although there’s not an exact date for it. I LOVE when the stores start stocking the shelves with pumpkin EVERYTHING. Pumpkin marshmallows, pumpkin baking morsels, pumpkin peanut butter and the list goes on.
This recipe for upside-down apple cake is the perfect fall dessert. It’s delicious and it made my kitchen smell amazing.
I love the layers of apples which are placed in the bottom of the pan on top of melted butter, pecans and brown sugar. As it bakes the brown sugar caramelizes and the pecans get sticky and it becomes a beautiful sight.
I used granny smith apples for my dessert. They are great apples to bake with.
This cake would be delicious will a drizzle of caramel topping or a dusting of powdered sugar. I chose the powdered sugar.
Now, I would love to know. What is your favorite thing to bake in the fall?
Upside-Down Apple Cake
- 1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP. butter
- 1 cup plus 2 1/2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 3 cups peeled sliced apples
- 1 TBSP. lemon juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup. buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 9-inch square baking pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar and the nuts over the bottom of pan.
- Slice apples and place in a bowl. Drizzle lemon juice on top and toss.
- Arrange apple slices in pan on top of brown sugar and nuts.
- In a mixing bowl beat butter for about 30 seconds.
- Add sugars and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Beat together.
- In anther mixing bowl combine the sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Whisk together.
- Using a spoonful at a time add to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Ending with the buttermilk.
- Spread over apple slices.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick to check if it's done.
- Allow cake to stand in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes .
- Invert onto a serving platter.
- Best served warm.
The cake batter is thick. Try to use two spoons or spatulas and drop onto the apples and gently spread the batter a little bit at a time. I was careful enough not to move the apples too much.
In the beginning where it calls for melted butter. I placed two tablespoons of butter in the pan and placed the pan in the warm oven to melt the butter.