Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup– A cream based soup filled with carrots, celery, gnocchi pasta, fresh spinach and topped with Parmesan cheese.
Today’s recipe is actually a redo. Originally this was shared on my blog November 8th, 2013. Almost exactly a year ago. I love this recipe so much that I felt it needed a makeover. Not only the recipe, but the photos as well.
Like I mentioned already. I love this creamy chicken gnocchi soup. My husband loves this soup and anyone I have ever shared it with loves it. It’s a crowd pleaser, for sure!
If you have never heard of gnocchi pasta before it is basically a potato dumpling. I usually find mine in the same aisle as the other pastas.
This soup is very easy to change. You can even add more or less of an ingredient and you won’t mess this soup up. You may need to adjust the liquid measurements if you do. It’s also important to keep some extra chicken broth or heavy whipping cream on hand in case this starts to get too thick. That’s also why it’s important to not cook for too long. I try not to keep it heating on the stove for longer than an hour and when I reheat the leftovers I pour a little bit of chicken broth over the top just to help liquefy it a bit.
I hope you love this soup as much as we do. I make this several times during fall and winter. It actually is one of my winter “go to” meals, and if I already have cooked chicken then it’s even easier.
- I package of gnocchi pasta or half a package if you prefer
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken breasts and or tenderloins
- 2 cups carrots (I cut mine in disc like shapes)
- 2 cups celery (I cut the same way as the carrots)
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves torn into smaller pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried Thyme leaves
- 2 cloves or garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- olive oil
- Saute the celery and carrots one at a time in a skillet with olive oil.
- Add the garlic to the carrots or celery.
- Drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- In a large stockpot add the chicken broth and heavy whipping cream.
- Cook on medium heat.
- Add the cooked chicken, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Stir all together and continue heating on medium heat.
- Stir often.
- Add the thyme and gnocchi pasta, cover and continue to cook for about half an hour.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- About 15 minutes before serving toss in the spinach, stir the soup and turn hear to low.
- Cover the soup.
- Pour into individual bowls and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Total cook time should be about an hour. If you need to cook it longer just keep stirring and don't add the gnocchi until about 30 minutes before serving or the spinach until about 15 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
- I dice my gnocchi pasta into fourths.